Friday, July 30, 2010

First Day Nerves

 
Chancellor Green at Princeton was the University's first official library when it opened in 1875. 
By Maria Paredes (Gaithersburg, MD)

Waking up this morning was like every other morning -- the feeling has not hit me yet.

I sort of know what's waiting for me: PRINCETON, ten days of journalism.

7:50AM hits, 8:00AM kicks in.

Knowing that my train leaves for D.C. in ten minutes, I hurry to catch the 8:10AM train with my bags packed, sitting in my seat, reading the paper.

At that moment I felt independent, a grown-up, if you wish. As the clock ticks I head towards my train -- would I miss it? Did I come too early? Do I really have to finish reading the assigned articles I haven't finished yet on the train ... ? As I get on the train my mind races.

I am actually on my own, actually leaving for Princeton. As I hear Trenton's stop being called, my heart stops. I had arrived in New Jersey and was going to Princeton. I felt it in the pit of my stomach and I'm still nervous as I write this blog post.

It's not a dream, it's reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment