Monday, August 3, 2009

Back to the Future: Reading Sotomayor

Student Laura Cheng works on her article about the confirmation of Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor '76 with SJP alumna and counselor Gloria Medina (Wellesley '11) (Photo Credit: Brian Rokus '99).
By Laura Cheng (Brooklyn, NY)

I wasn't sure what to expect when I came to the Princeton University Summer Journalism Program. Today is the fourth day and I still find the experience new and amazing (I actually woke up this morning at 6:30 with a huge smile on my face).

This afternoon was especially exciting, as I, and a group of other lucky journalists, were given the opportunity of a lifetime. We were given an assignment regarding the senior thesis of Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor. We went to the Seeley G. Mudd Manuscript Library and met the University archivist Daniel Linke and the assistant project archivist Dan Brennan. Both men were helpful and spoke to us with an air of eloquence. We started our visit by taking a look at several alumni theses including those of First Lady Michelle Robinson Obama, Melvin McCray, Wendy Kopp and of course Sonia Sotomayor.

Afterwards, Mr. Brennan took us on a tour of the archives. The sense of history related to the documents weighted heavily on my mind. I knew that I was experiencing something that I will never forget. On a lighter note we got to see some of the counselors’ old Princeton pictures, which was pretty funny. I would definitely recommend my fellow journalists to visit the library when they have a chance. I promise you’ll love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment