Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Returning to California

SJPers depart from Scully Hall to the airport and train station to return home. (Photo Credit: Brian Rokus '99). 
By Joanne Yi (Los Angeles, CA)

Leaving Princeton was such a stressful time for the students flying back. After we parted with the group heading up to New York, the airport group and I faced a lot of problems: malfunctioning of the airtrain, terrible service at the Continental desk and, worst of all, major delay aboard the plane. Throughout the whole time, many of us felt so much anxiety and frustration. Why should going home be so hard? I ended up arriving in L.A. at 1 in the morning.

Despite the craziness of the last day, I miss it all. When I woke up this morning, it was unnatural that I did not have a door banging alarm to wake me up. It was odd that when I went to the bathroom, Alex was not next to me so that we could brush our teeth together. It was strange that I was not surrounded by all the SJPers in the Scully Hall Commonroom on the third floor. No more meals at Rockefeller, no more sleepless nights, no more fickle weather. No more friendly counselors, no more intelligent peers, no more atmosphere of motivation.

I know that we will always have Facebook, Twitter, AIM, cell phones, Skype, Oovoo, and all the many forms of communication to make us feel as if we were next to one another, but it will never be the same. The 10 days are over. Even though I won't see some of the people ever again, the memories will always be with me, and that is most important. The things I learned, the things i did have influenced me and will continue to in the future as I and my fellow SJPers apply for college and go on to do great things with our lives.

1 comment:

  1. aw.
    Joanne, I'm tearing up. It's so weird not being part of SJP anymore. (I literally forgot to eat once because I was so used to someone telling us "Time to go to Rocky".) I mean, like physically. Always spiritually mind you, but yeah.

    At least we have each other and Jay. But it's not the same anymore. I've missed everyone and it seems like no one gets our jokes.

    Oh well. SJP reunion over at Kansas.

    ReplyDelete