Sunday, August 9, 2009

A renewal of confidence

Emery Ahoua reads an article during the "What is Journalism?" workshop last Saturday. (Photo Credit: Brian Rokus '99).
By Emery Ahoua (Newark, NJ)

I was always told that I was a talented person, a young man that could be successful if he played his cards right. I never believed that. I always felt the pressure of succeeding in all my endeavors to such an extent that I was afraid to be labeled a failure. Applying to this program was a crucial step, which forced me to step out of my comfort zone.

I still remember that rushed feeling of satisfaction as I opened my acceptance email and my immediate desire to acquaint myself with the other participants. Instead of getting reassured, I was nervous when I heard about the other students’ standardized test scores and the many things they have done in their communities and schools. Although my resume matched some of the other students’ resumes, I felt like my acceptance into the program was a mistake.These last ten days have taught me otherwise. I saw in myself a talent that was always there but hidden, a burning fire that never lost its flame but was ignored. The Princeton University Summer Journalism Program has ignited that fire and has given me a chance to do something that I am passionate about: journalism.

The directors and counselors of the program have taught me so much and shown me that I am worth their attention. They have reestablished my confidence, a confidence that is needed to be successful and to be a journalist both through a vigorous schedule and inspiring speeches.

More importantly the program has left an immense impact -- I feel that there is no way for me to fully show my gratitude. This has become my new inspiration, not only to do well at school and get into a prestigious college but to turn back and help those behind me. The directors have been father figures to me these last ten days and have been that guiding light that I have always sought.

1 comment:

  1. Wow these are very inspiring words i would love to know the person who wrote this

    ReplyDelete