Thursday, August 5, 2010

Life and Friendships at SJP

Students share ice cream and stories at The Bent Spoon.
By Tashi Shuler-Drakes (Bridgeport, CT.)

Coming into a new setting and meeting people is not always easy, especially for those of us that don’t like change. But it’s like these distinctions aren’t made between the kids at SJP.

Everyone gets along and we all actually talk to each other. We are definitely not strangers. Long walks from place to place on campus have created an environment for us to get engaged with each other. I find it comforting that I can walk with a different person each time we go out and still have a comfortable conversation.

And the counselors actually involve themselves as well. They don’t sit outside the realm of the program and just leave us to twiddle our thumbs. They ask us about ourselves, get to know us, and care. They set up these situations that let us know that we’re not in this alone. And it feels good to know that we’re not, especially coming from a place where it’s every man for himself.

Being here makes me feel as if I'm more than myself. It's so emotionally strengthening because they basically tell us that the world is in our hands, and they'll do anything to help keep it there. And now I know I'm important ... I know that I matter. We all do.

No comments:

Post a Comment