Saturday, August 6, 2011

Planning for College

By Rajaa Elidrissi (Elmhurst, NY)

Before I came to SJP, I didn’t think I had the slightest chance of getting into a great school. This program didn’t only teach journalism skills, but it also taught us about going through the college application process.

Many students came into the program without knowing much information about college, and many of us didn’t know our potential as well.

This program encouraged me to aim high and to not underestimate myself. Now, I find myself making to-do lists in my note-pad during the little spare time we have. My to-do lists consist of things like studying for the SATs and finishing my application essays early.

The guidance counselors at my high school are not as helpful as our counselors here. If it weren’t for this program, I would probably just focus on getting into a CUNY or SUNY in New York.

I am glad I attended this program and I still remember how excited I was when I received my acceptance. I will hold on to everything I learned during program and use it during my application process. I am also looking forward to staying in touch with my counselors and asking them for help thoughout the next few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment