Friday, August 10, 2012

A bite out of the big apple

By Michelaina Johnson (Ojai, CA) 


Life is made up of many shared milestones—first step, driver license, high school graduation, first job. But there are also personal milestones, and I crossed one yesterday- my first trip to New York City.


I grew up in a small town and have always wanted to visit the Big City and experience a 360-degree change. The sights, sounds, smells, and sensations nearly overwhelmed my senses. From being on the top floor of the Newsweek skyscraper to walking in Central Park, I got to glimpse a few of the many landmarks and attractions the city offers.

During the entire visit, I was on cloud nine. The cultural diversity and character of the city enthralled me. I counted at least four different languages I heard in one hour within one mile. This was only a glimpse of the cultural education and immersion that is possible in NYC. It is one of the few cities in the world with a massive melting pot of cultures.

I envisioned myself attending university in the nearby area. I saw myself working as an intern at Newsweek, the New York Times or CNN and working toward my future as a journalist. I imagined an experience that would mold my future career and expand my personal limits and cultural views.

The visit lay to rest my desire to visit NYC, which has only been replaced by the dream of seeking a possible future in the Big Apple. 

No comments:

Post a Comment