Thursday, August 9, 2012

A comforting confidante

By Ashley Patterson (Philadelphia, PA) 


“Pain slashed through my belly, tears flooded my little brown eyes.
Confusion shocked me like lightning and fear took over my mind.”

As I sat in the Princeton hospital waiting room, my mind began to wonder. I was afraid that despite the long trip and the wait, I would be forced to turn around. Mariya, my gorgeous counselor and relatively new confidante, sat right by my side. While I was lost in my thoughts she tried to renew my little smile. I had never felt pain like this before. I felt empty for I literally had nothing left inside of me. My body felt weak and I had no desire to speak. I wanted to hold myself. But I looked over at Mariya and she smiled at me, and I had no choice but to smile back, because I knew she was there for me. 

A few days earlier I had attended the town hall meeting with Congressman Rush Holt, and after he started speaking, my body suddenly gave out. Not only was I in physical pain, I was preoccupied with the thought that I could not go home like this, especially after my first night. When we arrived back on Princeton campus, my wonderful counselors Greg and Shirley suggested that I go back to my dorm for some “rest” time. This is where I met my counselor Eileen. Eileen is a sweet, very short woman who can brighten almost any mood. And as I walked back to my dorm with her she completely cleared my mind of any pains and worries that were bottled up inside. She gave me a sense of ease. She was the first sense of the love and the peace that I would find at SJP.

Then as I lay on the hospital bed two days after my encounters with Congressman Holt and Eileen, I found myself examining the big difference in attitude between SJP and my ordinary life. The vibe here was great - I knew that I was rooted for, and that there was someone I could open up to at all times. I had always been on Team Ashley, but unexpectedly, I realized that others were on my team as well. 

Mariya is that person that I honestly relate to as if we knew each other for years. I can laugh and cry, yell and scream, and stay in a hospital overnight for nine hours, and she’d still be there. I came to Princeton thinking that I'd connect with the students and do my work. And in the midst of completing my task, I found a shoulder to lean on. That shoulder just happens to belong to Mariya.

11 comments:

  1. @awilliams5

    Thanks a lot :)

    Ashley Patterson
    Theta Psi Sigma Rhoer Club

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley you are the best. Keep up the good work. Love Mom Mom. See you soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you mommom love you too and see you soon!!

      Delete
  3. You can do it keep up the good work love shaw your cousin /godmom your the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashley this is a example of your good writing skills... I knew your could do it... God has his angels everywhere you go to comfort and protect you, and that's what mariya was at the time you needed her, your angel of comfort. Keep up the good work and remember that you are never alone. Love you sooo much, aunt donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you aunt donna and i will let her know..Love you too

      Delete
  5. Mariya sounds really nice. Ashley you write like a TRUE journalist I hope one day you pursue you dreams and become one. Love and miss you. Love Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mariya sounds really nice. Ashley you write like a TRUE journalist I hope one day you pursue you dreams and become one. Love and miss you. Love Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love you too Linda and thanks so much, ill try to call u wen I'm free i miss u too girl. be good.



    -ash

    ReplyDelete
  8. My sweet and fierce little cousin, you are such a great writer! I had no idea. It's on now! God places people in your life at the absolute right time and place; everything happens in perfect succession. Leaving the comfort of what is familiar will always have an effect on you - your family is your foundation - but trust me when I tell you that it gets a little easier every time. I am so happy to be in your life, sweetheart. Now, if I can just get you to take a look at the incomparable organization of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Incorporated, all will be well :)

    Love you and by all means, keep writing!

    ReplyDelete