Wednesday, August 8, 2012

The great debate

By Delilah Vasquez (Chicago, IL)

Discussions and debates allow for the development of powerful and invigorating ideas. During the opinion journalism workshop, we reviewed various controversial topics to debate on. After some consideration, the group agreed on the topic of abortion.

Personally, the topic presents a myriad of sides, leaving me unsure of my position. I was fortunate enough to be randomly assigned to pro-choice, sparing me the difficulty of having to choose a side.

Immediately I remembered what I learned from my AP government class and contributed points to our opening arguments. Presenting the information was rather easy, but the rebuttals incited aggressiveness in everyone. Each side was firm on its views and raised interesting points for the opposition to consider.

Almost all the students participated in the debate. I found this to be one of the most interesting workshops because it required everyone's involvement, forcing me to wake myself up and exercise my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment