Thursday, August 9, 2012

The man with the thunder mask

By Kimberly Cionca (Bronx, NY)


Who would have ever thought that a mascot’s identity had to remain in secrecy? 

While attending the Trenton Thunder baseball game on Tuesday, I wanted to challenge myself and write an article about the various mascots present. I have always been intrigued by the mystery of the people behind the masks, and wanted to know why they decided to take the job. I had always associated mascoting - Geico’s mascot, Greg Golbing, approved of the verb - with a high school volunteer position. However, that’s not the only case; people like Golbing utilize this position for extra money in college too. 

Unfortunately, I quickly learned that the Thunder’s mascots, Boomer and the Lightning Bolt, didn't really want to talk. In fact, their identities have been a mystery for years.

This seemed odd since Lightning Bolt gave me a thumbs up when I asked him for an interview after the game. Something is fishy. Look out for my article!

No comments:

Post a Comment