Tuesday, August 7, 2012

A new community

Darquis Williams (Memphis, TN)


Can you imagine growing up in a place where all the people in your community are consumed with violence, hate, and hopelessness? Just picture it, you come to school and kids are bragging about the amount of drugs they got their hands on or the person they shot or gunned this weekend. I often wonder, where are the people that love one another and care about the world?

I signed up for this program to learn about journalism, but I already have met amazing people that have dramatically impacted my life. The counselors are great and come from multiple backgrounds and they actually care. I have had a lot of friends my entire life, but we never have something in common. This has been an amazing experience and it is nice to meet kids that care about the world, young people who value life and have opinions. I truly am not used to meeting people that I have so much in common with so it’s harder for me to open up.

No comments:

Post a Comment