Saturday, August 10, 2013

New York

By Lorena Alvarez (Tustin, CA)





The day we went to New York was a cultural experience I will cherish forever. My group consisted of great counselors and awesome peers. I honestly wouldn't have picked a better group. 

We got the opportunity to interview pharmacists in Chinatown for the program's Plan B investigative story. Finding the first pharmacy was easy, but the maps we were giving were confusing. It got so confusing to the point where we circled the same block twice trying to find the rest of the pharmacies.

Eventually, we found our way thanks to some helpful New Yorkers and smart phones. The road bump did not stop us from completing our mission as we attempted to interview the pharmacists. When they were unwilling to answer any question, I was sent undercover as I attempted to buy Plan B myself and asked questions in order to figure out what they knew about the new laws. 

Many of the pharmacists were actually unaware of the new laws and proving it with evidence made the investigative story even more hard hitting. After we finished, we actually had extra time to walk around and enter shops which was rather astonishing. I did however, make a fool of myself as my tourist ways were displayed by my constant stopping and picture taking at random buildings throughout the city. 

I would have never thought I would visit New York being my age, and not being the only who was visiting for the first time made it more exciting. The journalistic publications we visited also increased my desire to pursue journalism, and being in Times Square was just unbelievable. I just want to thank SJP for all the great events they planned because they are an experience that I will carry with me forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment