Monday, August 5, 2013

The Open Mind



By Ashley Jones-Quaidoo (Hyattsville, MD) 

“I still can’t believe I am going to Princeton! This is amazing,” I said to myself as I sat in the “Quiet Car” on the Amtrak train. When I first walked onto the campus, I couldn't help but notice the beautiful and pristine European architecture. It was going to be a new and amazing experience for me. I knew I would meet other students from around the country who had the same interests as me.

Since the age of nine, I knew I wanted to pursue my career as a broadcast journalist. I am eager to learn. One of the reasons I want to pursue journalism as a career is because it allows me to help other people in the world by informing them. Revealing a story can help save someone’s life, help them make better choices, and become well-informed about the world around them.
At the Princeton Summer Journalism Program, we challenge each other to think critically. Though the program is stringent, both mentally and physically, I am glad that I am here. Over the past four days, I've had some of the most brain stimulating conversations about politics, economics, and education. None of us know everything and some of us are misinformed. The debates and daily discussions from foreign policy to ethics in journalism allow us to exchange ideas.
SJP has also had its fun moments. Saturday, we went to cover a story on Alex Rodriguez as he played his last game with the Trenton Thunder. Initially I thought I would be timid and afraid to walk up to strangers, but I jumped into it without fear. The experience showed me that when it comes to journalism, it’s always impelling because you never know what can happen or what could be said. What made it even more exciting is that it was my time to get the story. I felt like a real journalist going to fans in the crowd and asking them questions.

The students here at SJP are very friendly and fun to be around. Our interests differ, but one thing we share in common is our love for journalism.

No comments:

Post a Comment