Tuesday, August 6, 2013

The Very Beginning


Bianca Uribe (New York, NY)

I know that I am in a great program when I am asked to debate about Edward Snowden and National Security while waiting in a line to get avocado ice cream. The Summer Journalism Program is currently in its 5th day. It feels as if it’s the 5th week. The amount of things that I have been learning in single day has been incomparable to anything I have ever done before. Whether it is watching a movie or debating everything has provoked my deepest thoughts. One of the greatest things about this program is the incredible speakers that come to challenge and intoxicate us with their passion. Personally Griff Witte of the Washington Post was one of the most memorable; He spoke of his work as a foreign correspondent and his words opened my eyes to the infinite places that journalism can take you. He taught me about the sacrifices that a journalist makes in order to give the people a voice. But above all the greatest part about being here these past couple of days is not only sharing this experience with passionate young people but also spending time with the incredibly helpful and enriching counselors.

No comments:

Post a Comment